Sunday, September 2, 2012

What

belyaevostapuki.blogspot.com
His success surprised a lot of peopls because Doc hadno in-depthj business experience, and he didn’t have the 70 hours-a-week drive that powers most entrepreneurs. It seemed he’d been in the rightg place at the right time with therightf idea. Unfortunately, all those rights didn’t prevenrt some big wrongs. Not understanding business basics, Doc didn’yt know how to respond to changee ininformation technology, customer preferences and other marketplacwe variables. His head was full of “what I’d like to instead of “what I have to do.” He sat cluelesz behind his big desk while the companhyspiraled downward.
Just before it all came completelyt apart, Doc’s son Barney gave in to his mother’e pleas, left a corporate vice presidency and came home to take Good old Barney managed to savethe day. Now 10 yearw later, Doc was trying to relived his life in business as he wished it had been by leaningt on Barney to do things theway he’r always wanted to do them. Barney has a pretty level head andthick skin, but sometimes he just neede to vent. “I used to chuckle at stories of parents trying to live the liveds they never had through their Barney said around a mouthfulof Tex-Mexx High-Yield Nuclear Chili at the Carolinz Moon Café.
“You know, trying to make a ballerina out of a kid with two left Ithought I’d escaped that.” “Ia your dad at it again?” I’d heard some of Barney’sa stories. “Picture this.” Barney put down his spoonj so he could talk withboth hands. “We’re in the bank president’s office to negotiate an increase in ourcrediy line. We’re financially but credit isn’t easy for anyone to come by these days.
“Just as I’m finishing my speecbh about using the new monet for crucialbusiness growth, Dad pops up with ‘O course, as head of the company, Barnet reserves the right to apply the funds to priorityy needs as he and I see them. That’as what being CEO is all about.’ The bank presidentf had his own idea of what being CEO is all We were lucky to get everythinb signed and get outof there.” “Doc probablg shouldn’t be involved in such I said. “He’s my Barney said. “What am I gonnw do?
Anyway, I get a call a couple of weekd ago from a businessw reporter down at the and she wants to knowhow we’re doing on acquiring our biggesgt competitor. I tell her I don’t know what she’x talking about, and she says, ‘I have a tip from someoner very close to the head of your company that the financingv is almostlocked in.’ And I say, ‘I’mm the head of this company, and I’m telling you we don’t have any plans …’ Then the light goes on.” “Yourr dad?” I asked. “Why would he start a rumor like that?” “That’s the questionb I asked him about 15second later.
he said to me, ‘youu have to keep your name in the headlinesd so people willknow you’re alive and Stir the pot, let ‘ej speculate.’” Barney shook his head. “Sheesh!” “Ij hope he hasn’t done any more redecorating,” I said. “Just the receptionn area, the main conference room and his officrthis time,” Barney said. “Almosg $60,000! But it’s not only the money. It’s him makinv decisions and making a lot of noise about it becausd hethinks that’s what being a CEO is all It was that over-blown CEO nonsense that almost sank the compangy 10 years ago.
” “I agree with you that he’s tryinf to do through you what he couldn’yt do successfully himself. Doc probably won’t be satisfiedx with any place in the companuthat isn’t right over your “But he’s a good guy and good father,” Barney “even if he isn’t much of a businessman. And sometimees he comes up with somegood I’ll just be careful about how much opportunity he has to make seriouxs waves.” “Good thinking,” I said. “Whoo knows, Barney? You might need an understanding son yourselrsome day.

No comments:

Post a Comment